Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Sends Nine To Hospital
SEATAC – Carbon monoxide poisoning caused nine people to be rushed to the hospital Thursday night, including three police officers assisting other victims.
King County Sheriff’s spokesman John Urquhart said deputies responded to reports of a carbon monoxide leak at a home in the 4800 block of South 172nd before 9pm. They arrived to find six people who had already become sick from the gas.
Deputies learned the situation started when the driver of a taxi cab pulled into the home’s garage and left it running for an undetermined amount of time, allowing the gas to spread through the house.
A man and a woman who were inside at the time were overcome by the carbon monoxide within minutes and passed out. A third person who entered a house also passed out.
A short time later a woman and her two children arrived at the home and found the three unconscious. She and her children quickly fled the house and called 911.
While trying to help the residents, three SeaTac police officers also began to feel ill. The officers, the three unconscious people and the 911 caller and her children were all taken to the hospital.
Seven victims were taken to Harborview Medical Center and the rest were taken to Virginia Mason Medical Center. Their names are not known.
“We don’t know for sure, but it certainly looks like the three people in the house – most likely live there. The woman who came in a little later with her two kids lives in a house behind this residence,” Urquhart said.
Three of the victims are said to be in critical condition. All of the officers are said to be in satisfactory condition.
It is not known why the cab was left running in the garage, but investigators do not suspect foul play.